Welcome to the lab of Dr. Mingfu Zhu at the Utah Foundation for Biomedical Research.
Dr. Zhu received his Ph.D. degree in mathematics from Clemson University in 2009. Following that, Dr. Zhu joined Professor David Goldstein for his postdoctoral studies, and then became an assistant professor in the Center for Human Genome Variation at Duke University Medical Center in 2012. He is currently Senior Director of Bioinformatics at Tute Genomics, adjunct faculty at the Utah Foundation for Biomedical Research, and adjunct faculty at Department of Biology at Brigham Young University.
Dr Zhu’s research interests lie in the multi-disciplinary field of computational genomics and statistical genetics. In particular he focuses on the software development for the detection of copy number variations (CNVs) using next generation sequence (NGS) data, CNV-based association studies, and their applications in different human disease studies.
ERDS for calling CNVs from whole genome NGS data.
- Zhu Q, Ge D, Heinzen E, Dickson S, Urban TJ, Zhu M, Maia JM, Zhao Q, Shianna K, Goldstein DB. Prioritizing Genetic Variants for Causality on the Basis of Preferential Linkage Disequilibrium. The American Journal of Human Genetics. Volume 91, Issue 3, 7 September 2012, Pages 422-434.
- Zhu M, Need AC, Han Y, Ge D, Maia JM, Zhu Q, Heinzen EL, Cirulli ET, Pelak K, He M, Ruzzo EK, Gumbs CE, Singh A, Feng S, Shianna KV and Goldstein DB. Using ERDS to Infer Copy-Number Variants in High-Coverage Genomes. The American Journal of Human Genetics. Volume 91, Issue 3, 7 September 2012, Pages 408-421.
- Clark PJ*, Thompson AJ*, Zhu M*, Vock DM, Zhu Q, Ge D, Patel K, Harrison SA, Urban TJ, Naggie S, Fellay J, Tillmann HL, Shianna KV, Noviello S, Pedicone LD, Esteban R, Kwo P, Sulkowski MS, Afdhal N, Albrecht JK, Goldstein DB, McHutchison JG, Muir AJ. Interleukin 28B polymorphism are the only common genetic variants associated with low-density lipoprotein cholesterol(LDL-C) in genotype-1 chronic hepatitis C and determine the association between LDL-C and treatment response. Journal of Viral Hepatitis. Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 332-340, May 2012. (*Equal contribution.)
- Clark PJ, Thompson AJ, Zhu Q, Vock DM, Zhu M, Patel K, Harrison SA, Naggie S, Ge D, Tillmann HL, Urban TJ, Shianna KV, Fellay J, Goodman Z, Noviello S, Pedicone LD, Afdhal N, Sulkowski M, Albrecht JK, Goldstein DB, McHutchison JG, Muir AJ. The Association of Genetic Variants with Hepatic Steatosis in Patients with Genotype 1 Chronic Hepatitis C Infection. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2012 Apr 29.
- Thompson AJ, Clark PJ, Singh A, Ge D, Fellay J, Zhu M, Zhu Q, Urban TJ, Patel K, Tillmann HL, Naggie S, Afdhal NH, Jacobson IM, Esteban R, Poordad F, Lawitz EJ, McCone J, Shiffman ML, Galler GW, King JW, Kwo PY, Shianna KV, Noviello S, Pedicone LD, Brass CA, Albrecht JK, Sulkowski MS, Goldstein DB, McHutchison JG, Muir AJ. Genome-wide association study of interferon-related cytopenia in chronic hepatitis C patients.Journal of Hepatology. 2012 Feb;56(2):313-9. Epub 2011 May 20.
- Zhu M, Jiang G and Gao S. Solving the 100 Swiss francs problem. Mathematics in Computer Science. Volume 5, Number 2 (2011), 195-207. Eprint arXiv: 0809.4627.
- Zhu Q, Ge D, Maia JM, Zhu M, Petrovski S, Dickson S, Heinzen EL, Shianna KV, and Goldstein DB. A Genome-wide Comparison of the Functional Properties of Rare and Common Genetic Variants in Humans. The American Journal of Human Genetics, Volume 88, Issue 4, 458-468, 31 March 2011.
- Ge D, Ruzzo EK, Shianna KV, He M, Pelak K, Heinzen EL, Need AC, Cirulli ET, Maia JM, Dickson SP, Zhu M, Singh A, Allen AS, Goldstein DB. SVA: Software for Annotating and Visualizing Sequenced Human Genomes. Bioinformatics. 2011 27 (14): 1998-2000.
- Pelak K, Shianna KV, Ge D, Maia JM, Zhu M, Smith JP, Cirulli ET, Fellay J, Dickson SP, Gumbs CE, Heinzen EL, Need AC, Ruzzo EK, Singh A, Campbell CR, Hong LK, Lornsen KA, McKenzie AM, Sobreira NL, Hoover-Fong JE, Milner JD, Ottman R, Haynes BF, Goedert JJ, Goldstein DB. The Characterization of Twenty Sequenced Human Genomes. PLoS Genetics. 2010 Sep 9;6(9). pii: e1001111.